|Derbyshire||Leicestershire & Rutland||Lincolnshire||Northamptonshire||Nottinghamshire|
|Home||News||Events||Publications||The Region||Networks||U3As||Links||Contact Us|
News 2017 Archive
29 Aug 2017National AGM 31st August Live Streaming. For the first time, those who are not able to attend the National Annual Conference to be held at the East Midlands Conference Centre, Nottingham, can watch the AGM day live on the internet. To access the AGM live stream, visit https://conference-2017.u3a.org.uk/live on 31st August. The whole day will be broadcast so tune in from around 9am to catch the morning speaker, Jo Coleman. The full programme is available at https://conference-2017.u3a.org.uk/programme/thursday/.
(Post conference note - the live stream is now available on YouTube - U3A AGM 2017 YouTube)
06 Apr 2017
Dissolution of the Association and the RRCA proposal to dissolve the Association of East Midlands U3As and its governing body the Regional Representative Council (RRC) was put to the Association's AGM held on 19th September 2016 (the AGM 2016 documents can be found in the Publications Archive).. More U3As were in favour than against but there was not the necessary two-thirds majority. There were no nominations for the RRC officer positions for the coming year but Pat Reeve (Chairman), Margaret Taylor (Secretary), Stephne Tewson (Assistant Secretary) and Rita Foulkes (Treasurer) volunteered to act as officers in the short term to resolve the situation.
The good news is that the East Midlands U3A Region and the support from the Regional Trustee continue whether or not the Association is dissolved as they.are integral parts of the national U3A structure. The Association was formed in the region before the County Networks were established and has successfully overseen the growth of County Networks and Neighbourhood Groups to an extent that dissolution can be considered.
A meeting of the RRC was held on 9th November 2016 where the dissolution of the Association of East Midlands U3As and the RRC was discussed. The Chairman and Secretaries were tasked with putting a statement to all U3As in the Region on the dissolution of the Association and RRC. They prepared a Statement from the RRC asking all U3As in the region to participate in a survey.
The results of the survey were reviewed and a Resolution to Dissolve (click to view) was prepared for the meeting of the RRC held on 1st March 2017. At the time of the meeting 92 U3As out of a total of 108 were in favour of dissolution and since the meeting three more responses in favour of dissolution have been received. The members attending that meeting unanimously agreed the Resolution and Stephne Tewson circulated this result in an Email to the U3As in the Region (click to view), and attached a copy of the resolution and a summary of the results county by county. Dissolution will be complete when the Treasurer has distributed the surplus funds to the contributing U3As and closed the accounts.
Minutes of the last RRC meeting and historical documents relating to the Association can be found in the Publications Archive.
Moving ForwardThe Regional Trustee, volunteers and representatives of the Networks and Neighbourhood Groups are working together to ensure that:
- there is positive networking with future joint activities, including an Annual Conference, being arranged in the Region,
- the Regional Trustee is used to the full potential and the Regional Volunteers utilised to support existing U3As and Networks as well as opening new U3As,
- informal meetings of members across the Region continue to take place,
- more emphasis is put on support by the Networks, Neighbourhood Groups throughout the Region. If in some areas where these were not already up and running that the individual Counties would be given help to move forward,
- friendship is emphasised when learning and above all everyone has fun,
- the Regional Trustee has an up-to-date list of current County Contacts,
- the Regional Trustee issues a regular newsletter updating members on information, for example after NEC Meetings,
- 'shared learning' events are advertised via the County Contacts, Regional Volunteers, and Regional Trustee,
- the website is used for advertising events and information.
The 2016 News items have been moved to the News 2016 Archive.
The 2015 News items have been moved to the News 2015 Archive.
The 2014 News items have been moved to the News 2014 Archive.
The 2013 News items have been moved to the News 2013 Archive.
The 2012 News items have been moved to the News 2012 Archive.